Tuesday, May 12, 2009

One Less Rattlesnake In The World


Mother's Day at our house was a peaceful event.....until we found the snake.

My inlaws showed up a bit early for the bar-b-cue so they could walk around and enjoy the flowers and roses that my husband and I have been laboring over. There is one particularly beautiful rose bush on the west side of the house that my husband wanted his parents to see. I walked with them and then went to sit by the pool with the dog. Within a few minutes my husband came back around to the pool area ushering his parents and urging them to return to the house. When I shot him a questionning glance he mouthed to me "Rattlesnake", not wanting to set off any panic. Once his parents were safely inside he donned heavy jeans and boots and went in search of a shovel.

My curiousity (and skepticism) over the snake got the better of me so I went to have a cautious look. I walked by the damned thing at least four times and never saw it. My husband showed up with the shovel and saw where I was standing. He exclaimed "Get out of there!! It's right in front of you!!". I looked again, but didn't see a thing. Nor did I hear the fabled "rattle". By now I was beginning to think that he was seeing things.

I went into the house and kept his parents company for a while. After about 10 minutes I went to check on my husband. I found him standing over the snake (now in two pieces) right outside our bedroom window...... right where I had been standing and looking.....right where I had been standing just the day before tending to my roses in my bare feet.

So, he hadn't lost his mind after all.

Now, let me just say that I have never been afraid of snakes. I grew up swimming in Lewis Creek among water snakes. There were always gopher snakes, kings and garden racers around the yard. I have heard over and over the stories of people finding rattlers on their porch, under their kids toys in the yard, in their garage, etc. I guess in some weird way I thought that my lack of fear made my yard somehow unattractive to the rattlers. Well, my yard has been breached by the enemy and it has freaked me out!!

Later that evening I went outside to entice the cats in for the night. Our youngest, Stuart, refused to cooperate and instead went running down the bank into the weeds and brush. Prior to our little snake incident earlier in the day I would have followed him and rounded him back toward the house. That night I decided that he was on his own....I could picture rattlesnakes lying in wait for me everywhere.

Yesterday, Monday, my husband got home before I did. He changed into his t-shirt and shorts and headed outside to water the garden. Two steps out the door he saw a snake lying on the patio. Fortunately, this snake was only a gopher snake, although a pretty big one!! He sprayed him with the water hose and sent him slithering into the flowerbed.

So, to the snake gods, I apologize for not taking you seriously. Your message has been received and understood and I appreciate the fact that it did not include a trip to the hospital. I will no longer traipse around in the flowerbeds of my yard barefoot, nor will I walk around the yard at night barefoot. I will always look before I reach (and carry a sharp instrument). I will get my dog her rattlesnake bite vaccine and make sure that her yard is kept clear of excessive growth.

And I will spread the word to those far and wide to be on the lookout for rattlesnakes. They are ever present, even when we can't see them or hear them.

3 comments:

  1. I, too, had a Mother's Day snake incident. My family returned home after a wonderful day at my mom's, only to find my 90 lb golden retriever mix standing at the back sliding glass door with a swollen face! With two puncture marks dripping blood from her nose, I yelled to my husband "let's get her to the vet quick!" It's been about 36 hours now, and the poor thing is still puffed up like a beach ball. She is at least still eating and drinking. I have read that most cases of snake bites in large dogs turn out OK. I am just waiting and praying this to be true for my dumb dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a good writer.
    Last year as I was pulling my trailer down the driveway and pulling onto the road I looked left and there he was. Streched out on the road and headed right for my property. I attempted to run over him but missed. Then panic set in. I threw it in reverse and hit the pedel and for a brief moment I had forgotten about the trailer I was towing. Now about 15 feet short of the snake and all jacked up in the road I exited the vehicle and reached in the back for the shovel. Where did I put the @%$*&*& shovel. By the time I went up to the house and found the shovel and came back that snake was gone. The thing is I saw where it went and I took that shovel and pooked around the rocks for a good 20 min. and never found it.
    They are sneaky little dudes for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you might find this info useful but this link takes you to a graph depicting the difference between a gopher snake and rattle snake, i found it very enlightening and i think the pic you have is a gopher snake... just a thought..

    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x199/sos86_capricorn/rattlesnakedifferencesngophersnakes.jpg

    ReplyDelete